Sense of Place - Project 2

 [GCD60804]


Week 9
Andi Syahnaz Asyira - 0350545
Bachelor in Fashion Design Technology (Hons)
Taylor’s University
Design Principles


This week, we learned about sense of place.

Sense of place refers to the emotional bonds people develop or experience in certain locations and surroundings, ranging from your home to the nation. The term "sense of place" is sometimes used to define the distinctness or distinct character of specific places and areas. 

Figure 1.1   Art by Rob Wilson
https://id.pinterest.com/pin/320529698489719925/

Figure 1.2   Painting by Christine Lashley
https://id.pinterest.com/pin/40039884179045595/

Project 2 - Sense of Place 

VISUAL RESEARCH

Figure 2.1   Art by Olivia Kugler
https://id.pinterest.com/pin/625367098267610412/

Figure 2.2   Art by Ann Cowan 
https://id.pinterest.com/pin/8022105576959103/

For this project, I was thinking of drawing my cousins living room. Ever since the pandemic, my family and I would visit my cousins house quite often. Since we aren't allowed to go out, we would order or cook lots of food and watch movies till midnight. They also adopted 2 cats-which quickly turned into 5-a while ago and we've been having so much fun playing around with them. This grew into a tradition of ours for the past 2 years, I love being able to spend time with my family and I will cherish simple moments like these, especially when I move away for college.

Figure 2.3   Photo by Andi Aaliyah

Figure 2.4   Photo by Andi Aaliyah

Figure 2.5   Photo by Andi Aaliyah

Figure 2.6   Photo by Andi Aaliyah


IDEA EXPLORATION 

Figure 3.1   Sketch 1 

Figure 3.2   Sketch 2

This is the final sketch for my design. At first I was just going to draw the living room, but it felt too empty so I thought of their cats and added them to the design. After adding the cats I quickly realized how accurate it is since most of the time, they are always running around the house and messing with the living room furnitures.

FINAL OUTCOME

Figure 4.1   Final outcome for sense of place

This is the final outcome of my design for "Sense of Place". I chose a colour palette with browns, beiges, and grays to recreate the simple and cozy design of their house. 


Feedback from Ms Jinchi

Initially, I was going to make a drawing of my old childhood home because the place holds lots of memories of me and my family which I will cherish forever but, Ms Jinchi said it looked more like a drawing of a building since I didn't put anything that shows sentimental value other than the fact that it was a house. 

Figure 5.1   Old design before I decided to change it



Comments

Popular Posts