Visual Analysis - Project 3

  [GCD60804]


Week 10 - Week 14 
Andi Syahnaz Asyira - 0350545
Bachelor in Fashion Design Technology (Hons)
Taylor’s University
Design Principles


What is a Visual Analysis ?
  • It is a method of understanding design that focuses on the visual elements and principles.
  • In its strictest definition - a description and explanation of visual structure for its own sake.
  • The core purpose of visual analysis is to recognize and understand the visual choices the artist made in creating the artwork. 
  • The result of a close visual analysis is the better understanding what exactly the viewer is looking at and what the artist intended to convey.
There are three phases in doing a visual analysis.
  • Phase 1 : Observation 
  • Phase 2 : Analysis
  • Phase 3 Interpretation 

Final Project : Visual analysis & Final E-blog

Part 1 : VISUAL ANALYSIS
  • Select a design of your choice (poster/billboard/illustration/etc).
  • Conduct a Visual analysis of the design in about 500 words.
Part 2 : DESIGN
  • Produce a work of design, in A4 or A3 size, inspired/influenced by the design you have analyzed, or as a reaction to it.
  • Write a 150-200 word rationale for your design.

Part 1 - Visual Analysis 

Figure 1.0   Cover Illustration by Julia Christians 

Phase 1 : OBSERVATION 

The design is in portrait format. As for the visual elements, it uses earthy tones. The main colours in the design are brown, green, orange, beige, white, and teal, there are lots different shades to add variety and contrast. There are words at the top and bottom centre of the design. The focal point is at the centre where there are images featured in the design. 


Phase 2 : ANALYSIS

The design is asymmetrically balanced. A repetition of rocks and trees are found throughout the design. The trees are in different shades of green to add variety and contrast. Alongside the trees, there is a triangular shaped house with bright orange fire coming out of the chimney. The bright orange stands out from the overall dark background. There is movement in the fire, as well as the pathway of the house which leads to the focal point. The emphasis is on the centre bottom of the design, where one will be able to see the two main characters. Above them is the title of the book, along with the author. Opposite from that, placed at the bottom is the name of the artist. There are tree trunks placed on each sides of the cover which frames the design. The colours and objects are arranged in a way that complements one another, resulting in a sense of unity in the overall composition. There is proportion throughout the design. It is shown in the different sizes of the words. The title is bigger, followed by the authors name and the artist in a smaller size.


Phase 3 : INTERPRETATION 

This is a book cover illustration designed by Julia Christians (2017). It is inspired by the German fairy tale "Hansel and Gretel", collected by the Brothers Grimm and published in 1812 in Grimm's Fairy Tales. The story follows two siblings, Hansel and Gretel, abandoned in a forest, where they fall into the hands of a witch who lives in a house made of gingerbread and pastries, the witch pretends to be nice with plans of eating the children, but they eventually escaped and start their long journey home. In the design, The siblings are seen running away from the witch's house, after seeing the witch's true colours which is shown in the fire coming out of the chimney. The fear is evident in the the two characters face as they ran away from the house. 


Part 2 - Design

Visual Research 

For the second part of the project, we need to produce a work of design inspired/influenced by the design we have analysed. For my design, I will be remaking a storybook cover of Hansel and Gretel. After looking through Pinterest and Google for ideas and inspirations, I came across these images that I will be using as my visual research. 

Figure 2.0   Gretel and Hansel movie poster

Figure 2.1   Design by Proi

Figure 2.2   Gretel pushing the witch inside the oven

Figure 2.3   Design by Julia Sarda

Figure 2.4   Design by Peter Donelly

Idea Exploration

I made a few sketches since I couldn't figure out which design I like best. 

Figure 3.0   Sketch 1

For the first design I was inspired by the Gretel and Hansel movie poster. The triangular shaped house reminded me of a witch hat, so I added the witch under it. I added trees beside the house to highlight that it is in the woods.

Figure 3.1   Sketch 2 

For the second design I was inspired by Figure 2.2 where Gretel pushes the witch into the oven. In my design, both Hansel and Gretel are standing in front of the oven after watching the witch burn. Then I added a simple border to emphasize that they are in the house. 

Figure 3.2   Sketch 3 

For the last design I was inspired by Figure 2.1. It is going to be a simple design, the focal point is going to be the house where it will be covered in sweets. 

After getting feedback from Ms. Jinchi, I went with the first sketch. She said it looked interesting since there is Gestalt found in the image. 

FINAL OUTCOME 

Figure 4.0   Final outcome 1 

Figure 4.1   Final outcome 2 

This is the final outcome of my design. Both designs are exactly the same, the only difference is the second one is a slightly brighter version incase the first one was too dark. I went with a dark colour palette with a green hue since I wanted it to feel like it is set in the middle of a dark forest. I tried to recreate the typography from Figure 1.0 to incorporate the design from my visual analysis. 


Reflection

This project was by far the most challenging for me because as I was doing this project, I also had to finish other projects from other modules and all the pressure made me mess up my timeline and I was having a hard time keeping up with my schedules and time management. I wasn't able to sleep very well which affects my ability to stay focused in my work. Despite all that, this project was actually my favorite. 


Comments

Popular Posts