TASK 2: FABRIC MANIPULATION AND SAMPLINGS

[DST64404]


Andi Syahnaz Asyira - 0350545
Bachelor in Fashion Design Technology (Hons)
Taylor's University
Fashion Project 2 


Fabric Manipulation and Sampling 


For this part of the project, we are instructed to create at least three fabric manipulations or samples related to our subject matter. The three fabric manipulation samples I came up with are based on my subject matter, which is aging specifically wrinkles, as well as the research and case study I did on task one along with my fabric manipulation references I collected from Pinterest.

Sample 1


Reference from Pinterest

In this first sample, I focused more attention to the ruching. One of the fabric manipulation references I found on Pinterest served as my inspiration for the background. I used a thin, lightweight fabric and sewed a bunch of ruching lines in all different directions before adhering it to the A3 mounting board. Then I got a little piece of neoprene fabric and created a drawstring effect on it before sewing it by hand to the background. 

I liked the contrast of the two fabrics' effects since one is very thin and flimsy and the other is really thick and structured.

Sample 2  



For this sample, I found this very interesting lace-like fabric with this veiny fibre design. That fabric was attached to a basic black fabric and used as the background. I bought a couple organza fabrics in skin tone nudes for the fabric manipulation, which I then burned with a lighter. Because polyester is a synthetic fabric that crumples up and produces a very cool look when burned instead of catching fire, Mr Jasmi suggested I use that fabric to make the same drawstring effect I did on sample one.

This sample, I feel, is the most relevant to the topic I chose. The lace background looks like human veins, while the polyester looks like wrinkly skin, and because the polyester is see-through, it seems like actual human flesh.

Sample 3


I wanted to do something different for the final sample since I had already done a couple ruching effects on the previous samples. Aging isn't only about wrinkles, so I wanted to go over some of the other issues that come with it. One of the more noticeable ones that come to mind is bone problems; as you get older, your bones weaken. 

This fabric manipulation is actually a shell smocking method that I used, but instead of doing the entire fabric, I simply did one row, which resulted in this spine-like fabric manipulation.






Comments

Popular Posts