Industry Training

[INT60204]

Andi Syahnaz Asyira (0350545)
Bachelor in Fashion Design Technology (Hons)
Taylor's University
Industry Training


This blog contains my experiences during my 8 week internship at Syomirizwa Gupta. As stated in the contract, I am scheduled to work from Tuesday to Saturday, from 10 am to 6 pm. During my internship, I will be involved in various areas, including workmanship, production, office management, marketing, event management, customer service, and other tasks related to the company's scope of work. 


WEEK 1 (2 January - 6 January 2024)

During the initial two days, I learned how to sew beading, which is a crucial aspect of their Raya Lux collection. After that, we held our first meeting with the Astro team to discuss costume embellishments that we will be doing for The Masked Singer Malaysia. 

The team sent over all the costumes the next day, so over the following days, our primary focus was on completing the costume embellishments, given the tight two day deadline. Additionally, I undertook tasks such as sewing garment labels, attaching hanging loops and hooks. 

On Friday, we had a meeting regarding the photoshoot for the Raya RTW collection, during which I had to try on garments to see how it would look for the models. On the last day of the first week, my activities varied, doing tasks such as sewing buttons onto garments, cutting fabrics, and preparing props for the photoshoot. Additionally, I learned how to fold and pack clothes for inventory management purposes.  

PHOTOS OF WEEK 1

Sew beading for Raya Lux collection

Meeting with Astro team to discuss The Masked Singer Malaysia 

Costume embellishment

Costume embellishment

Meeting for upcoming Raya RTW photoshoot

Trying on garments for the photoshoot

Packing clothes for inventory

Packing props and decorations for photoshoot


WEEK 2 (9 January-13 January 2024)

At the start of the week, I had to come earlier because our focus was on setting up the place for the Raya RTW collection photoshoot. I took on various tasks, including capturing behind the scenes photos and videos for our Instagram account, arranging props and decorations, steaming garments, and assisting models with wardrobe changes. 

The following day, I returned items from the photoshoot to their designated places in the office. Additionally, we started the process of organizing and decluttering the archive/stock room by categorizing boxes of scrap fabrics and discarding of any unnecessary items. 

Throughout the week, I expanded my skill set by learning how to sew patchwork beading for an upcoming collection, alongside undertaking tasks such as sewing labels, writing down client measurements, photocopying sketches, collecting samples, and creating behind the scenes reels for our Instagram. 

Thursday onwards, our focus shifted as the Astro team delivered costumes for The Masked Singer Malaysia. Given the increased number of costumes compared to the previous week, our attention was entirely devoted to this task. 

PHOTOS FROM WEEK 2 

Steaming garments for the photoshoot

Setting up props and decorations

Helping models with wardrobe changes

Taking behind-the-scenes

Taking behind-the-scenes

Organizing scrap fabrics

Sewing patchwork beading

Edited behind-the scene video for reels

Costume embellishment


WEEK 3 (16 January-20 January 2024)

The first thing I did this week was creating a voice recording video tutorial to guide users through the steps for purchasing via our website. Following this I took on the task to create a presentation for the proposal of the Raya collection launch. 

Throughout the week, my activities included ongoing work on sewing beading and embroidered patches, alongside doing alterations for client garments. Additionally, I made flat drawings of custom garments for clients using Adobe Illustrator. 

We had another meeting with the Astro team to discuss costume additions and modifications for the upcoming two weeks. Following our usual routine, we meticulously added embellishments and stitched additional costumes for the characters. Then, we packed all items for delivery to their office. 

On Saturday, we started the process of retrieving garments from the archive room in preparation for an upcoming sample sale scheduled for the following week. This involved sorting the garments by style and colour. Furthermore, I continued the task of packing and taking inventory of stocks from previous collections to optimize space within the archive room. 

PHOTOS OF WEEK 3

Voiceover tutorial to purchase via website

Raya RTW launch proposal

Sew embroidery patches

Packing and organizing inventory

Packing and organizing inventory

Brought down garments from the archive room for upcoming sample sale

Costume embellishment

Costume embellishment


WEEK 4 (23 January-27 January 2024)

During the fourth week, I did a small photoshoot to showcase the intricate details of the Raya Lux collection. Following this, we proceeded with preparations for the upcoming sample sale, doing tasks such as adding price tags and arranging furniture and decor within the boutique. Additionally, I folded and packed display garments to be stored in the archive room, freeing up space downstairs for the sample sale items. 

I also did other tasks such as writing down client measurements, continuing to fold and pack garments for stock, and providing assistance during a private sale for a few social media personalities, which includes registering and bagging items for them. 

On the first day of the sample sale, I undertook last minute preparations such as printing and sticking labels to categorize the clothing racks i.e.: single items, baju kurungs, gowns and muslim dresses, and bridal. Throughout the event we alternated between assisting customers and working on embellishments for The Masked Singer Malaysia costumes. 

My responsibilities during the sale included aiding customers in selecting and carrying garments, as well as bagging and recording their purchase. Moreover, I provided assistance with measurements for garment alteration upon clients request. On the second day, I retrieved more garments to be added to the sale, added label tags to them, and continued the tasks of bagging and recording clothing sales as on the previous day. 

This ensures the smooth operation of the sample sale and facilitated a positive shopping experience for our customers. I genuinely found pleasure in engaging with all the customers, and this experience provided me with valuable insights into the intricacies of customer service. 

PHOTOS OF WEEK 4
Raya Lux detail photoshoot

Brought down more garments for the sample sale

Adding price tags to sample sale garments

Packed up display garments to be stored in the archive room

Arranging furniture and decor

Assisting private sale for social media personalities

Printing and sticking labels to categorize the clothing racks

Bagging and recording customers' purchases

Bagging and recording customers' purchases

Costume embellishments


WEEK 5 (30 January-3 February 2024)

During the fifth week, I created a look book from the pictures of the intricate details of the Raya Lux collection that I took the previous week by masking the photos and collaging them together, as well as producing a flat drawing for clients garments using Adobe Illustrator. 

Upon the arrival of stocks for the new Raya RTW collection from the tailors, we diligently unpacked, counted, and organized each design before transferring them to the stock room. Following this, we had another meeting with the Astro team to discuss the necessary embellishment required for the next episode. 
In addition to the weekly tasks for The Masked Singer Malaysia, I did various tasks such as stamping the Syomirizwa logo onto paper bags, conducting garment alterations for clients, and creating an excel spreadsheet to manage the newly arrived Raya stocks. This spreadsheet facilitated the division of stocks for online and offline channels, for efficient inventory management process. Furthermore, I took some photos of older stocks in preparation for the raya online sale. 

PHOTOS OF WEEK 5
Flat drawing for client

Unboxing and organizing new Raya RTW stocks

Costume embellishments

Costume embellishment

Stamping logo onto paper bags

Spreadsheet to keep up with inventory


WEEK 6 (6 February-10 February 2023)

This week was more relaxed, likeluy due to the approaching Lunar New Year festivities. I created a detailed spreadsheet to schedule social media posts and created some captions for Instagram. Additionally, I edited several reels to enhance our instagram presence. 

Moreover, I did some early preparations for the upcoming Raya launch by folding and packing away the previous collection, making room for the new Raya displays that were diligently steamed and hung in anticipation of the launch. 

I accompanied my supervisor to purchase fabrics for The Masked Singer Malaysia. We dedicated the entire day to cut fabrics, lining, and adding embellishments. Throughout the week, my tasks include packing garments for loan and issuing the loan forms, editing presentation files, and conducting alterations for clients' garments. 

On the last day, I focused on packing online orders and dedicated the entire day to meticulously reorganizing and counting all of the men's Raya stocks for inventory management purposes. 

PHOTOS OF WEEK 6

Spreadsheet to schedule social media posts

Packing away the previous collection

Packing away the previous collection and hung new Raya RTW

Steam and hung new Raya RTW

Reorganizing and counting all of the men's Raya stocks

Reorganizing and counting all of the men's Raya stocks

Reorganizing and counting all of the men's Raya stocks


WEEK 7 (13 February-17 February 2024)

I started off the week by packing online orders, following that, I created a catalog for the Raya RTW line, alongside designing invitations for the launch and Raya greeting cards. Additionally, I wrote down some content ideas for our social media platforms. 

With the soft launch approaching, our focus shifted towards organizing the Raya stock, meticulously attaching tags to each garment. Personalities from the campaign shoot visited to try out the garments, so I took some videos with them for social media content. We spent the whole day rearranging furnitures, changing out the posters to feature images from the new campaign, organizing the decorations, and refreshing the mannequin displays. 

On the morning of the soft launch, I added final touches to the decor and prepared beverages for our guests. Throughout the day, I provided assistance and served customers, bagging and recording purchases, and collecting payments. Additionally, I took charge of documenting the event for social media content. The following day mirrored the previous one, with added tasks of working on embellishments for The Masked Singer Malaysia.

PHOTOS OF WEEK 7

Raya RTW catalog

Invitation and greeting card

Packed online orders

Shooting content with social media personalities

Thank you cards and tags for each design in the collection

Tagging each garments

Decorating the boutique

Assisting customers

Bagging and recording purchases, and collecting payments

Bagging and recording purchases, and collecting payments


WEEK 8 (20 February-24 February 2024)

Following last weeks launch, this week was notably as lot calmer. We utilized this time to tend to smaller tasks that were pushed aside during the focus on the launch preparations. 

My activities throughout the week included creating flat drawings for clients' garments, conducting alterations for several clients, making invitation card, and packing a garment for loan as well as issuing the loan form. Much of my time was dedicated to shooting and editing content for our social media platforms. I filmed tutorials demonstrating different ways to style garments from the new collection and modeling the pieces. 

In addition to content creation, I took charge of bagging items, recording purchases, and processing payments for customers visiting the boutique to purchase Raya clothing. Moreover, I assisted during as video shoot with social media personalities, in preparation for an upcoming fashion show. 

PHOTOS OF WEEK 8

Fitting and alteration

Sewing alteration for client

Flat drawing 

Assisting video shoot 

Assisting video shoot

Assisting video shoot

Making Invitation cards


REFLECTION

During my internship, I had the chance to engage in various areas like craftsmanship, office management, marketing, and customer service. While I found some tasks more enjoyable than others, such as managing retail and marketing, I'm thankful for the skills I acquired and the people I met. Despite the challenges and exhaustion, I eventually found my rhythm and began to appreciate and learn from every aspect of the experience. I've gained numerous skills that have boosted my confidence and personal growth. Now, having gone through these experiences, I have a clearer vision of my future goals and aspirations. Being involved in the Raya campaigns was incredibly enjoyable, witnessing the outcome and the dedication put into it.I would love to have the opportunity to be involved in similar projects again in the future.


OPPORTUNITIES 

Having never been in the workforce prior to this, my internship provided me with essential job experience and a valuable insight in how the industry works. Engaging in a range of tasks across different departments has provided me with clarity on my career aspirations and goals for the future. Additionally, it has boosted my confidence in my work ethic and abilities. 


WHAT I GAINED

During the internship, I gained practical sewing skills like beadwork and deepened my understanding of garment fitting, tailoring, and addressing client preferences. I refined my garment alteration abilities and acquired valuable insights into customer service, retail operations, and inventory management. Furthermore, I developed strategies for overcoming challenges encountered along the way 


Comments

Popular Posts